Whether or not you are ready, fall is here. The darker mornings have arrived, and pumpkins and other fall foods have been popping up in the market. But rather than cry in your pillow over the summer's end, let's celebrate with a fall recipe from Southern Living.
Fall Vegetable Hash
- 4 thick bacon slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size sweet potato (about 10 oz.), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium turnips (about 12 oz.), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 pound small fresh Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Cook bacon in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon; drain, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Coarsely chop bacon.
- Add oil to hot drippings in skillet. Cook onion and sweet potato in hot oil and drippings over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add turnips; cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.
- Combine vinegar and 2 Tbsp. water. Add Brussels sprouts, garlic, and vinegar mixture to skillet. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in bacon; add salt and pepper to taste.