You may or may not be aware, CrossFit aims to help you become proficient in 10 specific physical skills so you can be a more functional athlete. They are:
- Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance - The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina - The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- Strength - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
- Flexibility (Mobility) - the ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
- Power - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed - The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination - The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
- Agility - The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance - The ability to control the placement of the bodies center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy - The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.</li></ol>
After looking at these 10 skills, take a minute and order them from your strongest to your weakest. Are your abilities pretty balanced among the 10, or was making your list pretty easy? What are your top and bottom three?
We are just about 1/2 way through the CrossFit Open - a series of WODs meant to challenge these skills. As you finish out the weeks, take note of the areas you feel need work so you have a guide for goal setting. As you progress through the year, continue to check in so you can become a more capable athlete in 2018.